Closed


The "beach" season here in Michigan has concluded.

I am almost completely devastated.

As an avid Nitrox SCUBA diver, sun goddess and groupie of the nearest bar bq I shall now seek out antidepressants from the lack of sunshine which the next 2 seasons seem to disregard without a second thought.

This summer has been very eventful all in all though I don't feel I enjoyed the out of doors as much as I could have for some reason.

I truly believe some where in past time, my spirit or soul or whatever you want to call it, was either some kind of underwater life form or an Island Girl as the Summer weather makes me feel so overwhelmingly fantastic.

Within the water I feel complete solitude, peace and comfort beyond definition. I don’t need to be a hundred feet below the surface to feel these feelings, it could be as little as 10 feet with the sun glistening through the water, the sunlight that ripples along the sandy bottom beneath the surface and the bubbles that shimmer like flawless diamonds as they ascend to the surface. Oh these things are priceless.

No children neither splashing around in the water nor building sand castles or chasing each other around barefoot in the warm sand.

It saddens me to see the BEACH CLOSED signs and people walking the beach fully clothed wearing parkas and jeans. I feel I was robbed in a way, working 60 hour weeks and not being able to get to one of the places I love the most more than I did.

As this season ends and Fall and Winter are around the corner I can not help to think what these seasons may bring. Things are changing, the leaves are turning colors, and the weather is getting cooler and pretty soon there will be a different glistening possibly through snow cover trees or lights shimmering on Christmas trees.

These too are the things which bring solitude.
7 Responses
  1. diablo Says:

    Yeah, but it's HOCKEY SEASON!



  2. Yeah I am excited about football-Super Bowl Sunday is considered a holiday in my family.


  3. I am longing for the days of laying in the warm sand (with you)and those underwater kisses........


  4. camojack Says:

    The water is prob'ly too cold now, anyway. I'm looking forward to CancĂșn, which is where I'll be for Thanksgiving Week...


  5. MargeinMI Says:

    Well, solitude isn't quite what I felt when I saw the BLIZZARD the other day!!! It was more like homicidal RAGE! TOO SOON!!!!!
    Whew! Glad I got that out of my system.

    Michigan is beautiful in all seasons, especially fall in the country. Folks go north to view the colors, but I say just hop on I-69 to Port Huron. It's one spectacular show!


  6. Libby-Ditto

    Camo-Actually, as you know, the water isn't ever too cold to dive in-as long as you have a dry suit (and a big set of ummmm well you know). But "I" am not a proud owner of one those there SUITS and REFUSE to jump into cold water without. But some day I shall. I would love to SHOCK some people on the beach by walking out into the lake from the snow covered beach (of course in a dry suit) and disappear into the blue. That would be a cool. As for Cancun, send photos...would be interested to see what it looks like now. My last trip there was in 94 prior to the hurricane.

    Marge-Hi, nice to hear from you again...Homicidal RAGE is what I encountered today trying to drive on 94 toward downtown in the POURING rain. IMPOSSIBLE. I grabbed GRATIOT instead. Rain Snow Sleet oh Lord help us all Im not ready for this stuff.